General Guidelines and Tips to Improve the Wiki
I was going to make a separate page for this, but I believe it is unnecessary. The following is what I consider some official guidelines and rules when editing the wiki. Users should adhere and abide by them if they want the wiki to have quality content.
- The franchise is Kunio-kun, so prioritize the Japanese version of the games. Starting with Super Dodgeball Brawlers, use the localization names. Before that, stick with the Japanese versions. Super Dodge Ball for the Neo Geo was released only in America, so the English name should be used even though the Japanese name exists.
- The DOUBLE DRAGON & Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle now has English titles of the Famicom Kunio-kun games. Articles can be renamed accordingly once the compilation is released and the names have become official.
- The main space is all articles which include official information. Do not add fan information and fan art into the main articles. Kunio-kun fan translations are not official, create a separate section in the game's article (such as Doujinshi) that has information on the translation. A fan art article exists, feel free to link to the fan art article in a main article's gallery section.
- The franchise has many original fan games, which are not listed or shown in the wiki (as in, not remakes of the original Famicom games). Feel free to create articles of these games
To start, here is a list of every known game in the Kunio-kun franchise. Some might be missing though.
- The most important thing when working on a game's article is to play the games. Play the games and complete them at least once. That is source enough. Complete the game a few more times, get as much of what you can done.
- Use Wikipedia articles for information.
- The Japanese Wikipedia articles have information on most of the Kunio-kun games. Most of their information comes from the game manuals.
- English Wikipedia has some information, just ensure not to copy the article word for word on the wiki, that's plagiarism.
- I have not checked other languages, but the franchise has Polish and Russian fans, so the Wikipedia articles in those languages might have good info.
- Note that the River City Girls article on Wikipedia took information from this wiki. That is also plagiarism. Wikipedia does not consider FANDOM a reliable source, but those include code that allows the article to credit a Wikia source.
- The Kunio-kun franchise does not have a lot of reliable sources, especially when it comes to the development of the games. If you can find information about a game's development, add a Development section to the article.
- Ensure that most of the information in the article is sourced. If the source is in Japanese, be bold and use it anyway.
- Use the format and style of the Double Dragon Wiki.
- Do not add a Biography section (Appearance, Personality).
- Do not add a Character Relationship section (Allies, Neutral and Enemies).
- Do not use a Powers or Fighting Skills section.
- Due to a lack of official sources, and how continuity in the franchise is handled, most of these sections can be filled with Fanon. As for Appearance, let images, if any, do the job.
- Like the Double Dragon Wiki, use the Appearances section to list information about the characters. List the games in order of release, do not list the games in an order that assumes that the franchise has continuity or a timeline.
- If the character appears in very few games, or just one, add a Background section with information about the character instead of using an Appearances section.
- Do not use a Gameplay section. Use the Appearances section to list gameplay information of a character in the game that they appear right after writing about their involvement in the game. Feel free to split it into sections.
- In the character infoboxes, include images of the character, from the most recent game if possible. If no artwork exists, use sprites of the character from the most recent game. Characters in the Kunio-kun franchise have many different appearances, so display multiple artwork if necessary.
- Do not include information in the infoboxes if it is not sourced. Wikipedia and some sites might have some information taken from manuals and developers.
- Create an article for every Special Move in the franchise. For variations, such as the Mach Kick 2, add information in the Mach Kick article about it.
- Create an article for each Team in the games, with more in-depth information than what the game's article has available.
- If the game has a linear progression, create an article for each stage, with more in-depth information than the game's main article.
- If the game has non-linear progression, create an article for each area the player can access. If the area has stores, list all of the items that can be sold and the stores in the area.
- Sports games have stages and arenas, create an article for each.
- Create a Mysterious Store article, and list the location and items of each store in every game.
- Create an article for gameplay terms, like the Game Over article that currently exists.
- Create articles for the companies involved in the franchise (Technos, Million Co, Atlus, Arc System Works, Avit-Niigata, Aplus, H2 Interactive, and others). The Double Dragon Wiki has sections for each, so linking to that wiki would be a good idea.
- Create articles for the people involved in the franchise (Kishimoto, Sekimoto, Yoshida, Koji Kai, Kazuo Sawa, and the rest).
- Create articles for all of the official soundtracks of the franchise.
- Japanese Wikipedia Articles should be used as sources.
- Kishimoto has his own website.
- The Miracle Kidz website has information about the franchise as well.
- Official Site of the franchise from Arc System Works, originally for the 3DS games. It can be found on the main page as well.
- The official site for Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun Special as a Q&A section with Kishimoto in which he shares information about the franchise. Other sections of the site also have additional information from him and other members of the development team.
- The official site for the Japanese version of River City: Tokyo Rumble has information on the cancelled Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka sequel, though the information is also available on Kishimoto's site.
- The Kunio-kun Nekketsu Complete: Famicom Hen official website has some info on the development of the Famicom games.
- Some Japanese fansites have information from the developers of the franchise (such as Kunio Mania). Many of these sites were from Geocities/Yahoo Japan, the Internet Wayback Machine needs to be used. Below is a list of many of these fan sites:
- KUNIO.PL, a Polish fan site for the Kunio-kun franchise. This is the biggest Kunio-kun franchise website that is not from Japan.
Stuff to work with
Here is a list of things for users to get started with:
- Create a Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun (franchise) page explaining the franchise in detail.
- Create a Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun (series) page that details the Kishimoto beat 'em ups.
- Create a Downtown Nekketsu (series) page that details Sekimoto and Yoshida's series of games.
- Create a Super Nekketsu (series) page for the DS games
- Complete the articles of the localized games as much as possible first before going into the Japanese only games.
- Fix character articles with better info boxes and information on the characters.
- Create articles for every major character.
- Affiliate wiki with the Double Dragon and The Combatribes wiki.
- Make edit guidelines.
- Split game articles if possible.
- Replace screenshots that were taken with "GPU Screenshot" option enabled.
Progress with Game Articles
Partially or completed
Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun
Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun: Bangai Rantō Hen
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai
Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shūgō!
Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dairantō
Super Dodge Ball (Neo Geo)
River City: Tokyo Rumble
River City Melee: Battle Royal Special
River City Girls
River City Melee Mach!!