Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu: Subette Koronde Dairantō (いけいけ！熱血ホッケー部「すべってころんで大乱闘」 Go Go! Nekketsu Hockey Club: "Skate, Fall, Great Free-for-All Brawl") is an ice hockey game for the Family Computer (Famicom), both developed and published by Technōs Japan and released in 1992. It is the ninth game in the Kunio-kun series and the seventh Kunio-kun game released on the Famicom. It is a sequel to Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen.
This game was planned to be released in North America under the title of Crash 'n the Boys: Ice Challenge, but it was canceled.
The seventh game in the Kunio-kun series for the Famicom was the first game developed by the Technōs Japan Niigata Development team, designed by Koji Kai. The game was in development for a year.
While practicing dodge ball with Shinichi, Kunio accidentally strikes Yōichi, the Hockey Club captain of Nekketsu High School. Yōichi explains his situation to Kunio: if the Hockey Club is unable to defeat the Shirogane High School Hockey Team in an upcoming game, the Hockey Club will be disbanded. Kunio agrees to help Yōichi out.
After an exhibition game between the dodge ball club and the hockey club in which the latter club loses spectacularly, Yōichi's spirit completely diminishes. An angry Kunio decides to join the Hockey Club, and arranges exhibition games against other clubs and other schools to make the players stronger before the game with Shirogane High School.
The game has two modes: Scenario (しなりお Shinario) and Battle (たいせん Taisen). Both modes have two modes each. Scenario has a single player mode and a two player mode. In single player, the player controls the one of the three characters playing in the ice rink and the goalkeeper simultaneously. In two player mode, the first player controls any of the the three characters in the ice rink while the second player controls the goalkeeper. Before starting a game in Scenario, the player can input a password to continue their progress.
Battle mode allows two players to face each other, controlling the main players and the goalkeeper simultaneously. The four player mode allows two players to control any of the three players in each team, while two other players control the goalkeeper.
Before starting a game, players select which characters take the respective positions: Forward, Winger, Defense and Goalkeeper. Games are played with three players in three periods lasting three minutes.
Just like in Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: Soccer Hen, there are no offside penalties. It is possible to attack other players using the hockey stick and tackles. If characters are hit multiple times, they become angry and instead of tackling, they use punches and kicks. If they connect against another player with a punch or kick multiple times, that character is penalized and moved to the penalty box until the opposing team scores a goal.
Like in Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu and Soccer Hen, all characters have access to Super Shots. The game can be played in multiple venues, some with additional hazards.
The game's controls depends on if the player is on offense or defense.
- Power: A character's stamina. If this is empty, the character is unable to perform a Super Shot.
- Speed: Character's movement speed and the length of the curve when the character performs an u-turn.
- Weight: The higher this stat, the harder it is for a character to be knocked down by a tackle. It also determines the tackle's strength.
- GK: This stat determines if the character is good as a goalkeeper. Characters with a high GK stat have a higher chance of catching a puck thrown at them and can move farther from the goal.
- Personality: The character's temperament. The stat has three types: Calm, Tempered and Passionate. Characters who are calm get angry for 30 seconds, tempered characters get angry for 10 seconds and passionate characters get angry for 1 minute.
In Scenario Mode, the player is granted uniforms upon defeating a team. They affect two stats: Attack and Defense, and offer special properties:
- Hockey (ほっけー): Has 16 Attack and 25 Defense. The starting uniform of the Hockey Club.
- Kendō (けんどう): The uniform used by the Nekketsu High School Kendō Club. It has 28 Attack and 32 Defense. Characters can perform a Shockwave Attack by jumping and pressing the B button while playing defense.
- Yakyū (やきゅう): The Nekketsu High School Baseball Club uniform. It has 24 Attack and 12 Defense. The goalkeeper can use the bat to launch a Super Shot at the opposing goalkeeper.
- Special 1 (すぺ・１): The uniform of the Yurigaoka Girls Hockey Club. This uniform specializes on defense. It has 12 Attack and 62 Defense.
- Amefuto (あめふと): The American Football uniforms used by Hanazono High School team. It has 30 Attack and 50 Defense. While playing on defense, players can use the Backdrop to grab and knockdown opponents.
- Roller (ろーらー): The uniform used by the Tanibana Killers. Has 46 Attack and 19 Defense. By holding down the B button, characters perform the Bōjutsu Special, making it easier to perform Super Shots.
- Special 2 (すぺ・２): An uniform awarded after defeating the Shirogane High School Hockey Club. It has the highest Defense, 80, and an Attack stat of 28.
- Special 3 (すぺ・３): The uniform awarded after defeating Banba Industries. An above average costume with the second highest attack power (45) and the second highest defense (72).
During Scenario Mode, the player will play against their opponents in different ice rinks. The first four games are played at Nekketsu High School. The next three are played in three different venues: Hanazono High School, Tanibana High School and Shirogane High School, respectively. The final three games are played at the Technōs ice rink.
- Nekketsu (ねっけつ): A normal ice rink where games are played normally.
- Hanazono (はなぞの): In this rink, players can bounce off the walls.
- Tanibana (たにばな): This rink has grenades, which decrease a character's power if they happen to run into them.
- Shirogane (しろがね): The surface of this rink is in rough conditions and if the puck hits any pieces of ice scattered around, it will change direction.
- Technōs: This rink is similar to the Nekketsu High School ice rink.
Nekketsu High School's Hockey Club
Nekketsu High School's Dodge Ball Club
Nekketsu High School's Kendo Club
Nekketsu High School's Baseball Club
Shirogane High School's Hockey Club
Banba Industries High School's Hockey Club
Shitennoji Academy's Hockey Club
Daisetsuzan High School's Hockey Club
Codes, Secrets & Bugs
Passwords are used to continue in-game progress in Scenario Mode. Passwords are awarded to the player after they defeat an opposing team, they appear on the top right of Kaori's newspaper article. This screen appears after the scoreboard display once the third period ends. Otherwise, they receive the password upon losing in a separate screen if they chose to quit.
- Vs. Nekketsu High School's Baseball Club - 6088
- Vs. Yurigaoka Girls High School's Hockey Club - 4994
- Vs. Hanazono High School's American Football Club - 6342
- Vs. Tanibana High School's Roller Skate Team - 7153
- Vs. Shirogane High School's Hockey Club - 8368
- Vs. Banba Industries High School's Hockey Club - 6562
The game has additional passwords that are never revealed by the game. These hidden passwords are listed below:
- Vs. Nekketsu High School's Kendo Club - 2437
- Vs. Shitennoji Academy's Hockey Club - 0508
- Vs. Daisetsuzan High School's Hockey Club - 9250
Scenario Mode as Dodge Ball Club (Reverse Mode)
This mode is accessed by using the following password: 4728. The player begins the match against the Kendo Club using Kunio and the Dodgeball Club. The player receives no new uniforms from defeated teams and no passwords upon winning or losing the game. Players may attempt to complete the game using these conditions as a challenge.
Inputting the following password will enable a sound test, 7031.
- KUNIO DOJO (Japanese, using the Internet Wayback Machine)
- Kunio-kun Nekketsu Complete: Famicom Hen wiki
- The Cutting Room Floor