Hasebe Kazumi (長谷部 和美 Hasebe Kazumi, はせべ かずみ Hasebe Kazumi) is a 3rd year student of Reihou Academy and the heroine of the Downtown Nekketsu series, a sub-series of the Kunio-kun franchise. Her first appearance is in Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari, where she warns Kunio and Riki about the Hattori Twins and where to find Mami. She is also the Student Vice President of Reihou Academy, and was once feared as a "Legendary sukeban".
In the Downtown Nekketsu series, Hasebe attended the same middle school as Yamada and Kunio. Kunio moved to a different junior high school, while Hasebe and Yamada transferred to a junior high school closer to the middle school that the three attended. During this time, Hasebe became known as a "Legendary Sukeban", feared throughout her school's district. She moved to Reihou Academy for her high school years along with Yamada, while Kunio attended Nekketsu High School.
Hasebe has feelings for Kunio, but they appear to be one-sided. The only time the two characters are romantically involved is in Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shūgō!, were the two are playing characters in a period play. Yamada as feelings for her and they are part of his motivations for antagonizing Kunio.
Concept and creation
Hasebe is considered cute and reliable and is popular with students. She dislikes Todō and Yamada.
Allies and Friends
In this game, Hasebe acts as the master of ceremonies (MC) for the athletic meet sponsored by Tōdō.
A remake of Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai, Hasebe is once again the MC. She appears in the game's Single Play (Story) Mode as part of the story line.
Downloadable content released for the game allowed players to use the Cheering Girls (Cheerleader in the localized version of the game) team, which is led by Hasebe, includes Kōzuki (Reihou's Director of the Broadcasting Division) and the cheer leaders of the default teams (Momozono, Shimada, Aihara and Kirishima). The team is unique in that they have three special techniques instead of two. Hasebe uses Mochizuki's Nitro Attack, Kobayashi's Mach Chop, and the Tornado Kick used by Tatsuichi and Tatsuji in Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen'in Shūgō!.
This DLC marks the first playable appearance of Hasebe in an official Kunio-kun game.
Hasebe assumes the role of Okoto, the daughter of Bunzō. This is the only game in the series in which Hasebe acts as a damsel-in-distress.
Hasebe is featured in game's cover art, and makes a cameo in the game's intro.
Hasebe makes an appearance as the sports announcer.
Hasebe is one of the opponents in the game.
Hasebe appears as a secret final boss, along with Mami, if the player beats the game and destroyed all Sabu Statues.
- In River City Ransom, Hasebe was renamed Roxy. In this game she is Slick's girlfriend (Yamada in the game) and is familiar with Alex. She re-appears in River City Ransom: Underground with this same name.
- Hasebe's birth date (March 1) is the same birth date of Sekimoto's wife
- In-game, Hasebe's hair has become a darker shade of purple starting in River City Super Sports Challenge ~All Stars Special~, and so far continuing in every game since.
- The three-hit combo she used to attack three villains in a cutscene of River City Super Sports Challenge ~All Stars Special~ has been made into an in-game move in River City Melee: Battle Royal Special.
- While the team she leads is called Cheering Girls, Hasebe herself has not been depicted as a cheerleader. She does act as a cheerleader for the Historical Drama team (as Okoto).
- In River City Super Sports Challenge ~All Stars Special~ because Hasebe also serves as the game's MC, and the cheerleaders also affiliate with other teams in a non-playable capacity, playing as them in will result in two instances of a girl appearing in some scenes.